Friday, November 3, 2017

Plitviče




I guess, we've all heard it more often than not to: "Live in the Moment" or simply "Be Present". But in this age of digital media, fast food and consumerism makes it as hard as a task. Because, I do try so hard. I try to switch off (sometimes!) and do things away from bright screens. Now that I have more free time than ever, I could squeeze in more writing and aufräumen. I've been keeping this story for so long and looking back on these pictures reminded me to see life as an adventure, be spontaneous and live the moment!

It was June and my birthday was just around the corner. I have nothing special intended, but the thought of growing a year older in the place I was born, 17 years after leaving, could mean something right? It's such a blessing to have met my Friend Ning here in Hamburg, who is also a Proudly Pinay and a Pro in Travelling. An "Angel in Disguise" if I may say. A Typical Sunday Afternoon in Church led to planning and booking furiously for a 5-day backpacking trip to Croatia. I can't count how many Debit/Credit Cards we pulled out from our wallets! And when I describe Ning as a 'Pro in Travelling', I meant Expert. In one table meeting, our bus connections, flight tickets, hostels and itinerary are as good as gold. I could rely on her for my life! I think, the only thing I contributed was finding a Couch we could sleep on for a night in Zagreb.

Twenty-one hours of bus ride (and a Krimi Bus Drama) later, we've arrived safe and sound in Croatia's Capital and Davor's humble home, who welcomed us with open arms just like his two wonderful Daughters. We were on-the-road again early in the morning to make our way to a UNESCO World Heritage - The Plitviče Lakes National Park. 


     
     
      
     
      

I was only reading Blogs and seeing Pictures of Plitviče years back and wished to see it myself. What a gift to receive on one's Birthay! And I am glad that I am sharing this dream with a friend. 

The Plitviče National Park is a Forest Reserve located in Central Croatia. It's Walkways and Hiking Trails that wind the Forest made me realize that we are in the midst of Terraced Lakes which are then joined by countless Waterfalls. It's evident how rich and protected this Site is, given it's thick green foliage, free swimming fishes and enchanting blue waters. Taking a dip is forbidden, however, I can't help to test the waters and get my feet wet. The endless rush of water keeps you company as you hike. And before you know it, there is a Waterfall waiting for you just around the bend. 

Aside from hiking, Ning and I rowed a boat and decided to eat our baon aboard near a little Waterfall - all to ourselves. The challenge during our hike, is when the rain poured hard that we had to stop and find shelter under a tree, but then just accept the fact that we got a natural shower. But the adventure didn't stop there, when we almost decided to keep ourselves dry and stay somewhere warm, have we found a signage that reads "Big Waterfalls". And our chasing for waterfalls has been satisfied. Our shivering bodies and tiresome faces have brightened up and our eyes wide again! It was such a reward to discover that beauty, if it weren't for a little more step and curiosity. 

We ended the day with a warm Croatian dinner at Restoran Lička Kuća and blew my cake in Plitviče Lakes! Now that I've seen the Lakes in all its sapphire and jade glory in the Summer, I wonder how frosted and crystallised it would be during the Winter. The Enchantment of Plitviče never left us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment