Wednesday, August 12, 2015

First Flight



Fast forward to operating my first flight EVER! My roster gave me the privilege of having a double sector flight that is Doha-Abu Dhabi-Doha, Doha-Dubai-Doha. Yes, back-to-back flights for a Junior and no-previous-flying-experience crew like me! That day was the most nerve-wracking. I have woken up way ahead of my alarm clock and couldn't sleep well partly because of adrenaline. 

On my first ride in the crew bus, I had the time to chit chat with a Cabin Senior in her gray hat and uniform and seeming years of experience under her belt. She was friendly enough to ask me if it were my first flight because of my big staff number haha! But then she told me that I'll do just fine and not to panic. That and her smile reassured me for the flight and the rest of the day as we parted our ways at the Technical Building. After signing in for my flight, I met my crew at the Briefing Room. Here we make our rounds of introduction, safety and first aid questions and assignment of work positions. It gets nerve-wracking but you shouldn't let it get the best of you, instead give it the best of you. I am glad that I have reviewed the night before the flight so I was able to answer with confidence. The briefing room is a place where everything you've learned during training rushes to your head. For me, this is the time of showing how competent/fit you are for the flight, commanding respect from others as well as representing your country! I might be the youngest and newest member of the crew complement but here's the catch, most of my crew were first-timers as well as it was even my Sri Lankan CS' (Cabin Senior) first solo! It made me realize a lot - about myself being capable of things I never knew I could and of others - to trust and learn from them. I was obviously a floater assisting my co-crews and occupied a passenger seat instead of a jumpseat as it was (thankfully!) a light load flight. It is rewarding to receive complements from my Seniors and to be guided on the process.

What made completing my First Flight an incredible, unforgettable and special one is that I did it on my Mom's Birthday! August 3, 2015 is a day that will forever be engraved in my heart. It's a happy feeling! I'm a firm believer that this has been written by God all along! I would never have thought or dreamt of it myself. He really has a plan and a future set apart for us. See how amazing God is?


4 comments:

  1. Hello Alyson. I am myself a flight attendant. I am currently writing a story about this amazing job that we share. I've based my story in Qatar because you fly to many destinations. Have a look on wattpad of you have time. TWO WINGS IN THE SKY. Is the title. Please get in touch with me? I would like to ask you about your experience. If you're willing of course. Safe flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucio! Thanks for dropping me a message. Of course I would love to have a look on your write up. Better yet if you could send me the link?
      Safe flight to you as well, always!

      Delete
    2. Hello!! And thanks for reverting back. Here is a link to my story. http://w.tt/1UgLZfR. Hope to hear from you soon. Cheers

      Delete
    3. Hi Lucio! I started reading the first few chapters of your story and I think it is amazing! I can relate to it so much it's like reading my very own story haha! Any crew would be able to identify themselves in this. Just keep up and maybe you could improve on your working title.

      Delete