Monday, March 23, 2015

One Year

March is a significant month in my young life. I still recall my first entry coming here to Dubai, and I'd have to repeat myself: How time flies! It's been a year (A YEAR!!?) since I moved in this glitz and glam of a city, soaking myself in all it's rich and vast deserts, embracing it's Islamic cultures and diverse peoples with the hopes of establishing myself in a professional career while pursuing my many dreams... I can't even look back as the whirlwind of events feel as fresh as only yesterday. Coming to the Arab World wasn't all a magic carpet ride, you know?
 
I've met different people, some Kabayans, making their way in this foreign deserted land. A place far away to leave their homes, for their homes. There were days (weeks!) I'd spent in front of the computer updating my CV, applying online as a Millenial on the hunt for a job; walking long stretches of walk along Sheikh Zayed Road, taking the Metro, going aimlessly into various office buildings to drop our CVs and felt lucky enough to be called for an interview. If there were interviews, I'd consult the trusty Google maps for my location and upon reaching - I'd scramble from the train or taxi or look for the nearest washroom to slip into my heels! I'd present myself in a PAL Professional way backed up with my small victories and young experiences.

There were also days when there was nothing. No calls. No interviews. It felt devastating! (I wouldn't wish it on anyone) I was ready to go home. Many times I thought of going back instead but never really considered it. All I held on was God, constant prayers, and the support and soothing words from family. That made it, at least, bearable. I felt rejected many times but still stubborn and hard-headed to following my dreams... I realized, that's all I have.
 
A year down the road, after surpassing all those challenges and tough times make me proud of where and what I am now. Proud how far my cousin and I have come. A year later, here we are living our lives independently - paying our own rent, doing our own groceries and knowing we can now better stand on our own two feet. I learned (and am still learning) things the hard way. It's what I'm made of. Those rejections have brought me to unknown horizons. Don't despise them. Many times I've been shrouded with self-doubt, but that doubt made me assess myself and learn who I am and what I want. Because only through doubt will you have a stronghold on faith. Well, that itching travel bug and Miss Wanderlust is always in me as I chase life and adventure! And I'm still that stubborn and hard-headed pursuer of dreams ;) (Don't lose sight of 'em, they're there for a reason and a guiding light somehow.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment