Saturday, November 21, 2015

Casablanca


From my dusty archives and impatiently stored in my drafts... Finally I share with you - Morocco has long been a dream country to me mostly because of Marrakech. The rich art, heritage, topography and it's people have a magnetic effect on me. By living in the Middle East, I've met and made a few Moroccan friends who just enliven my desire to see this beauty. Morocco is a destination I've been bidding for. Funnily, other crew won't 'bid' for this flight. Which makes me... a weirdo. (Haha!)
Luckily for me, I was granted my request twice! Consecutively! With our service flights into Casablanca - a city unknown to me - where all I knew was it's my gateway to Morocco. On my first arrival there, I got down with a flu during Eid season. And I did absolutely nothing, but rest and heal myself in a foreign far away land - Panadol, a bottle of water and a book (The Nightingale) kept me company. Since then, I've noticed the French influence in Morocco is ever-present. People in the Concierge would answer my calls in Francaise, and I try to throw them my broken French as well. HAHA!

For the second time, Casablanca has not disappointed! My Pinay co-crew and our lovely Taxi driver - Nour-eddine - were Godsend! After a quick shop for souvenirs at the Souq, we bumped into the most friendly Cab driver who was more than happy and enthusiastic to show us around his beautiful city - in his distinct Moroccan/French accent. With a handy map in his little red Peugeot, I knew we were in for a road trip.


1. Souk De Casablanca - souvenirs from Morocco, a variety of souq finds, and made-in-chinas. Don't forget to bargain!

2. Hassan II Mosque - known simply as "Big Mosque", the second largest mosque in the world (as introduced by Nour-eddine), with a towering minaret, built in Islamic Arabic details in an area that made me feel how big the world is again and situated next to the coast - was a breath of fresh air. Alhamdullilah!

3. Corniche - there's no other word that comes close to describing it as gorgeous. And knowing that I'm at the tip, caught in between North Africa and the Mediterranean, this is my closest encounter with the Atlantic Ocean. 

4. Notre Dame du Lourdes Church - stopped by to whisper a little thank you.

5. Old and New Palace in Habous - visit and see Morocco being the Royal Kingdom it is.

6. Les Fleurs - our last stop at the restaurant near our hotel for some authentic local food and I made sure I didn't miss out on a tender and yummy veal meat cooked in Tagine - a traditional Moroccan dish.

From Moroccan Tea, to Tagine, to Argan Oil - She was all sorts of surprises and nothing short of beautiful. Maybe the reason I flew back-to-back Casablanca was because I was down (with flu) the first time and needed to come back. Maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment