Sunday, August 31, 2014

Career Shift




I can't even bring myself to begin with this... talking about Career. I am not the smartest or prettiest but I've always imagined to see myself somewhere. 

Especially now that I've got a shot of the "Real World" or reality in itself (and I tell you, it's worse than a shot of Jose Cuervo) But I will save that speech for a different post.

Is it only me or is time just sashaying away? So before this month ends, I'd like to share one of the Little Victories of my life. As a young adult (19 to be exact) and barely out of College, the typical "just for the heck of it" proved to be a surprise.
It started with the Career Week Fair back in college, which for us students was just another seminar to get our names in the attendance sheet and complete the requirements for ORDEV (yep, Benildeans!) But for me, it brought me to my first employment ever - with Philippine Airlines. At that time, I was so confident and full of enthusiasm! I won't lie, I wanted to get in that industry. Receiving call after call for interviews and screening was enough to get my adrenaline rush. I will never forget the Recruitment Day at PAL that was close to being a beauty pageant! (But no, seriously) I waited for months to score the job. Not to mention the time-consuming processes and the requirements we had to gather from various offices around Manila. You'd understand all the lagkit and pawis I had to go through! Oh gosh, the tiring trips to PNP in Camp Crame, the unending queue in NBI Taft Ave. and the greatest obstacle I had to hurdle - was to have my wisdom tooth extracted! Oh wait there's more, we underwent a very meticulous Medical Examination, stuff I cannot even put into writing! (Yes and Yes.) For the finale, the lucky candidates were brought to a screening with no less than PAL's COO - Mr. Ramon S. Ang. I'm glad to have met such gorgeous and beautiful people along the way while hurdling the obstacles to get in this career. I recall, I was on a vacation with my friends in Bohol that time and had to cut short my trip to fly back to Manila for the interviews.  

Again, prayers and hard work truly pays off. Getting that little plastic card with my face and name on it was like a dream come true.

Training at Philippine Airlines Learning Center with my batch mates were the best days I had with PAL. Ever since Day One, our trainers and practitioners have inspired me. As the saying goes... "A mediocre trainer tells; a good trainer explains; a superior trainer demonstrates, ... a great trainer inspires!" I was fueled to learn from them and be what they've become. From years of working with the company (which they've come to call Family), years of experience in the Aviation industry and retirees who chose to stay and pay forward what they've culminated. I felt privileged to learn from the best (and those who've been there) Being deployed at the airport opened up to me a whole new frontier of reality. One which I haven't been to as well. I met people from all walks of life, worked with staff from various service providers and dealt with irate passengers and my work in itself. It's not easy working shifting schedules since we're in Operations and funny how it is, but once you're in you'd realize that life in the airline is not all glamorous. You have crossed the mirror and see loopholes that require much rectification. What made me last a bit longer were the amazing girlfriends I've made :) You know, there are such petite girls whom pigging out tops their favourite hobbies (yes, we do exist), next to spending time with their boyfriends of course! Having a group to share stories, chismis and dreams provides one comforting zone. Which is why I too am proud to call PAL my family.

A year later, but the feeling of achievement still lingers. I won't lie again, it was only a short stint and I wasn't a Flight Attendant to begin with. But, I will always bring with me everything I've learned, use them for my personal growth and hopefully pay it forward. Charge everything to experience *wink











No comments:

Post a Comment